Accent circonflexe, astuce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accent circonflexe, astuce

Un prof de français m'a donné une astuce pour savoir quand est-ce qu'on doit mettre un accent circonflexe: quand il y avait une "s" à la fin da le syllabe en latin, et encore en espagonol. Exemple: château (castillo), fête (fiesta), côte (costa).
    Ce n'est pas une règle fixe, mais je voudrais savoir si quelqu'un de vous l'avait entendu avant... Ou si vous connaissez des autres...
    www.lingostan.com

I think the origin of a lot of accents in different languages derive from the mediaeval times when monks wrote bibles, books of hours, and so on. Certain letters would be written in a small size above the word itself and these changed into the accents we use today. Examples are the circumflex in French that you talk about here, and the umlaut in German which represents the letter e following an a, an o or a u (as German speakers will know sometimes we still see "ae" instead of "ä", etc. Very useful if you don't know how to type the accents!

Comment

Ah, I didn't know about the origin of German umlaut! It makes all the sense. It's very interesting to learn about how these symbols appeared, changed and disappeared. I wonder why there's nothing like that in English... What about strange Scandinavian "crossed o", do you something about it?
      www.lingostan.com

Comment

Sorry, no idea!

Comment

Working...
        X