Do you use graded readers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use graded readers?

I'm surprised that many people don't even know them, of course for some languages are not easy to find, and sometimes they are not even available, but for the most important ones there are definitely good books to choose from,and you can start to read even if you are a beginner, reading abridged novels. So, do you use Graded Readers?
    https://www.lingostan.com

Only if the teacher insists or when there's nothing else available and a lot of time to kill. Of course, at the beginning they are sort of inevitable, but oh, how I long for the moment I'll be able to read real, unabridged books!

Comment

I too can't wait to read unabridged novels, fact is, as much as I might follow Kató Lomb recommendations, I start like crazy to search new words in the dictionary. So I see graded readers as a milder step to bring me to a higher level without putting much stress on me.

Comment

Bilingual reading is another option to get there fast, and the one I prefer.

Comment

That poses another problem, that my eye would sneak too often to the translated version. If I can resist and read that only after I read in my target language then it's good, but if I rely too much on the translation I think it can confuse me at the beginning.

Comment

But that's the way it is supposed to work, at least at the beginning - you read it paragraph by paragraph alternating the two versions. It is not confusing - on the contrary, what didn't make any sense just a few seconds ago, suddenly becomes as clear as glass.

Comment

I think we had a graded reader in German, but none in French. But of course "unabridged" books can vary enormously in difficulty - I read Voltaire's "Candide" in French very quickly, but stalled when reading Hugo's "Notre Dame" ("The Hunchback of Notre Dame" being the English title.)

Comment

Oh yes, there is a huge different between reading Agatha Christie and J.R.R Tolkien, for example. I know that the latter confuses even some native speakers. But after a while you stop noticing the difference.

Comment

Thanks for the warning about Tolkein

Comment

Why do you say so about Tolkien works, Irina? Because of the arcaic Beowulfish language?
                    www.lingostan.com

Comment

Because American guys that attended an English club in out local library once told me, "He didn't write in English; he wrote in Tolkienish". I don't know what they meant. By the time I started attending that club I had no problems with reading The Lord of the Rings anymore, so the native speakers shouldn't have had any problems either. Still they had.

Comment

Not everyone (native speakers included) speak/read/write English as well as you do!

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X