To be suspicious - a double meaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be suspicious - a double meaning

You may have heard of the word suspicious before.

Sometimes, even though this one can be problematic in terms of pronunciation for English learners, this word is highly interesting.

Let me tell you why.

“I find him to be a very suspicious person.”

This sentence has two meanings based on the context of the sentence. Of course, as we all know, language depends on the grand overseer that is context.

This sentence could mean that the person is scary or there is something about the person that you don’t trust. You may be frightened of this person.

On the other hand, it can be used to express that the person is suspicious of you. Perhaps this is someone speaking about a romantic relationship. Their partner could be suspicious that they are up to something.

A better and clearer way to describe this idea would be “I find him to be very suspicious of me.” However, this is a little clunky.

So, there’s a bit of a grey area here.

Experiment and play with the language and watch out for that context!

So Elvis talked about the second option in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxOBOhRECoo
    In Spanish we have "sospechoso" and "suspicaz".
    www.lingostan.com

Comment

Haha I never thought of the Elvis example! Exactly that.

Comment

Victor could you tell us which Spanish word to use in which context? I speak a little Spanish...

Comment

Laury, in which context? Elvis one? In that case, "suspicaz" (untrusting) for sure.
          www.lingostan.com

Comment

Thanks Victor. In what context would you use "sospechoso"?

Comment

Working...
            X