To Add Insult To Injury

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Add Insult To Injury

Here is a very interesting idiom that you can use in a variety of situations.

To add insult to injury - To make things worse than they already are.

Now, this is an idiom that has negative connotations.

In my experience, I hear this one in sporting contexts when something bad happens to a team and then another bad thing happens right afterwards to make the game worse for them.

For example, say that a team has just conceded a goal during a football match. That’s a very bad thing to happen of course. Now, let’s say that one of their players gets a red card 10 or 15 minutes later. This would be adding insult to injury.

So there you have it - To add insult to injury, a highly useful idiom.

Questions are always welcome and I would love to see if you can come up with any sentences that use this phrase.

I can quote from Ruth Rendell. The book is called "The Speaker of Mandarin", and there is the following dialog in it:

'An old man?' Wexford interrupted. 'In a wood at half-past two in the morning? What the hell for?'
    'Well, sir, for poaching. Pheasants, it would seem. That's why it's taken us so long to find him ... '
    'And he was there on October the first, was he? I call it adding insult to injury, poaching a man's bird on the very first day shooting officially begins.'

Comment

Thanks Irina! I know it's used outside the sporting context too but was treying hard to come up with an example!

Comment

You're welcome. You know what a bookworm I am Now my head is full of these quotations.

Comment

Working...
        X